Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A toast to the political climate I am entering. Yikes!

4 comments:

  1. Okay, who are these kids? I emphasize the word kids. Newsweek is asking 17-20-year-olds what they think about their government. I don't mean this disrespectfully but, what 17-year-old knows much about his or her government? If you were to ask a 17-year-old here in America what he thinks about Nixon... what would he say? Would he know the strategies that Nixon used in governmental planning? All these Russian children see is American on TV... illustrated by the kid in the middle of the clip talking about fat people on TV. It is going to be an interesting 18 months for you babe - just like it was in Germany. Attitudes are different and very shifted... and most, very uneducated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a lot different from my experience there (except for the kid who hates fat people, they really wont hold back in telling you what they think! haha). "Russians seemed eager to emulate the West". Moscow is a great example of this. There is not a city in Russia that better demonstrates how much Russians admire the West.
    Like Miss Jones said above, they dont know much about actual government policies and/or planning, and what they do know is very controlled. You'll find that the public education system is still under a very communistic influence in that they are taught what the country wants them to believe (ex. Omitting that Stalin killed tens of thousands of Russians, and only pointing out how life was better and easier back when he was in office).
    On the other hand, you have to consider the source and the interviewer. Newsweek coverage was criticized for being heavily biased in favor of Barack Hussein Obama (I kinda like saying his full name) and against John McCain (Check the May 2008 cover story... Wicked!). I personlly can never seem to be convinced by video interviews. So much can be cut out. What other questions were prior to their responses? What classes were they interviewing from? Anyone can make a random survey of 30 students relay whatever message they want.
    Anywho, you'll find that there will be very few "kids" who actually feel that Americans are an enemy to Russia. Most of them love Americans. And those who dont are very quickly persuaded to friendship!
    PS- I love how clearly Moscovian Russians speak! No mumbling, no slurring, no slang, no accent... its wonderful! I LOVE RUSSIA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who was that? Great mystery comment...

    ReplyDelete