I have a problem with the whole talking on the phone thing. I think it has something to do with my love language. Most are familiar with this, but in case you are not, there is a test you can take online to calculate how you express and accept love.
http://www.afo.net/hftw-lovetest.asp
There are five different ways: verbal affirmation, physical touch, quality time, gift-giving, and acts of service.
I am so obviously a quality time person that I should be falling over I'm so imbalanced. I am the opposite when it comes to the personality color test.
https://www.colorcode.com/personality_test/
Interestingly enough, I am straight across the board on that one. White is the passive peacemaker, yellow is the fun-loving party person, red is the aggressive, driven leader, and blue is driven by relationships and emotions. I am completely equal among all of them except I have one less red and one more yellow.
What does this have to do with a phone call? All I'm saying is, I do not connect with people through verbal affirmation. When a friend calls to chat, I set a time to go to lunch with them or watch a movie or go shopping and tell them I'll talk to them then. I would get much more out of just being with a person for an evening doing nonsense than having an hour-long conversation on the phone with them. I like to watch their face when we're talking; interact with them. If someone takes the time to be with me, I feel like our relationship has strengthened. If someone gives me a gift or tells me I'm "so great" over the phone, I don't feel anything.
Ironically, this really shouldn't be the case. I am an English major and I spend a lot of time with words. That is different; I am able to express myself much better by writing my feelings than having to explain them verbally. Let's be honest: I'm horrible at talking about my feelings and emotions. I have yet to ever have a DTR with a boy. I don't believe in them. Let the relationship flow, people. If you are meant to be boyfriend and girlfriend, you will be--you don't need to declare it in an awkward conversation late at night on your saggy apartment couch. I have never told a guy that I like him, actually. Thankfully, I think I'm able to get the point across eventually even though it's impossible for me to express it in words--I'm not a very open person, I guess. If I spend time with you, chances are I like to be with you.
Moral of the story: I don't like phone conversations, but I do like words. I may not tell you that I treasure you as a person, but when I spend time with you I am telling you I treasure you.
No comments:
Post a Comment