Thursday, October 1, 2009

I refuse to toast imposter indie films.

I have a problem with imposter indie films. Let me explain.

I adore a good indie film. By indie film I mean the independent films usually made for film festivals. Although my favorite films are foreign ones, independent films can be just as unique and meaningful. I loved Mozart and the Whale. The Painted Veil was beautiful. Bella was one on which I still reflect. I could go on, but I digress. What I'm saying is, I can't stand the indie films that are created only to make money or because they are in style. Independent films should be made to express an idea, to inspire the watcher, to move people. Too many indie films have lost that focus. They usually end up being super weird or end up not making sense at all. In a way, these imposter films can be likened unto the Mannerist art period. The High Renaissance period was the point where art had become perfected--Leonardo could create a striking replica of the woman, Mona Lisa, with a life-like picture of nature in the backdrop. Raphael's Baldessare Castiglione was so clear and perfect I was sure I could poke him in the eye and he'd start crying. When Mannerism came about, however, that veristic style was tweaked: the works of art seemed to be portraits not of real-life scenes, but portraits of portraits of real-life scenes. They seemed staged, one step removed from the real thing. They were trying so hard to recreate the paintings they loved that they missed the whole point: to paint the real thing! These imposter films go the same way. They have seen the success of other indie films and tried to pattern their movies the same way. They maintained the seemingly stream-of-conscious thinking, the quirky story lines, unique characters, and great sound track that are the usual facets of a good indie film, but they miss the entire point: a movie with a meaningful message.
I just watched a film called Expiration Date. I felt as if this was the epitome of an imposter. There was no deep meaning, no universal issue which I felt was made clearer. The kid thought he was gonna die by getting hit by a milk truck, but he didn't. During the process he started dating a crazy, annoying girl. Aaand that's about it. I Heart Huckabees was similar--a rather rambling, desultory storyline--although I did appreciate that it gave a great illustration of both existentialism and Nihilism. Still. I wish they'd stop trying to do the "Across the Universe thing" and abandon the whole "this movie is as artsy, drug-infused, and anti-American as possible, so it's cool." I love a movie if it is original, inspiring, and thought-provoking.

But maybe that's just me.

2 comments:

  1. First, I couldn't agree more! Though I love me a good entertaining flick, much of the film industry; indie and hollywood, have lost their key purpose...which is having a purpose. Second, I really enjoy the way you write. I agree with Sister Jones there (I used to work with her, which is how I found you by reading her blog) in this being very well written.

    ReplyDelete