Monday, June 13, 2011

Who's up for a little PROM competition?

My dad is from Washington and my mom is from Oregon. They met at BYU and got married. They began their family in Santa Rosa, California and had all of their children there (including the child most pertinent to this story, me). After several years, the eldest child, Brandon, was moving to BYU and getting ready for his mission. The thought occurred to Mom and Dad that all of the children would be going to BYU someday--why not move closer to BYU? Thus, when I was the youngest child at 6, we were hauled to Draper and I have lived there ever since. I consider myself having been raised in Utah (obvi), yet I am constantly being accused of not being very "Utah," which I take as an insult from some and a compliment from others, depending on the person and the tone of his voice. Utah definitely has some STRANGE quirks and I won't go into those right now except to mention some of my favorites--hugely ratted hair, Jell-O with carrots, and loooots of children and minivans. But, you have got to love the Deseret State for trying.
Now, getting to my point. One particular quirk I'd like to discuss: prom. Prom is a big deal here BUT not as big of a deal as the ways one gets ASKED to prom. For example, my sister was asked with a bucket of blood and a cow heart nestled lovingly inside (his name was on the bottom on the outside of the bucket, that punk). Another time was a giant ice block with the name in the middle. I once received 5 billion Dum-Dum suckers with a poster saying, "I'd be a Dum-Dum not to ask you to prom" (thanks, Shey Grossen, I appreciate that). An LDS comedian Jenna Kim Jones was pulled over by a policeman to get asked. True story. Sadly, she didn’t have her license so the officer had to give her an official warning along with her flowers and invite. How sweet! What is even more ridiculous, however, is the day of prom. One word: marathon. I just remember awful 5 am mornings on the day of prom to go hiking, eat breakfast, have a picnic and a water fight and go paintballing and get lunch, and, in my case, take the ACT. Blech. Then you take as long to get ready as possible, reconvene and pin on the corsage with your family photographing each movement until your date sweats through his jacket (and you haven't even hit the dance floor). Then you, of course, take the limo (so your date can be a good date) to some expensive restaurant (I went to The Melting Pot for my Junior prom--so good), and on to the dance where you get pictures taken, spending the last of your poor date's money from his lawnmowing business. Hit the dance floor for some cursory dancing if you're normal, dirty dancing for the gross kids in the middle, or for some intense, full-on sweet dance moves on the outside of the dance floor for the coool kids (like me, for example). Interpretive dancing may or may not be included in this. Of course, the night can't end there. You must retire to someone's house and watch a movie as if you have extra energy to spend. Then it's on to the doorstep scene where it's up to the young lady to determine how the date ends (hey, this blog is G-rated). Needless to say, prom was a long day. Also, I never really looked that good in my pictures, even after spending all that time in the bathroom. Guess I should have paid more attention to how I looked instead of what music I was listening to while I readied myself. Wish I had one of my prom pics to post but they are busy collecting dust in a closet in my house. Sorry.

Point being: who can share the funniest/craziest/most creative/most entertaining/most horrifying prom-ask-out-method they have ever heard/experienced? I would looooove to hear.We'll give it a few days and see who wins. I will be the judge because this is my blog and I said so.

Comment now or forever hold your peace.

xo 

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey! This is Lauren Adamson aka Syb. I am so glad that you had a wonderful mission and are now back to writing awesome blog posts, including this one. When I moved to Utah and was about to turn 16...I had some aunts fill me in on what to expect. I couldn't believe it. Man oh man I did some ridiculous things. My prom was pretty much the typical scenario you described above...I thought I looked awesome. What was I thinking. I could say so much more and feel like this is random, but I wanted to say hello. Stop by my blog sometime: michaelandlaurenadamson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete